Siena stands out for its medieval brick buildings. Piazza del Campo, the central square with its characteristic fan shape, is home to the Palazzo Pubblico (the town hall in Gothic style) and the Torre del Mangia, a slender tower of the fourteenth century from whose white battlements you can enjoy a wonderful view. The seventeen historic districts (the city districts) extend all around from the square. The main place of Catholic worship in Siena is “Duomo di Siena”.
(Read the complete guide to Siena’s monuments).
The city, with a strong historical heritage linked to the past, is more alive than ever also in the present. StudentsVille Staff has chosen all the best Siena events today: festivals, concerts and much more.
Discover Siena with our guides:
What’s happening in Siena
- Thanks to Mibact’s initiative “Io vado al Museo” Siena State museums open free on first Sunday of month.
- The coat of arms of Siena is called “balzana”. It is a shield divided into two horizontal portions: the upper one is silver, the lower one black. According to the legend, it symbolizes the black and white smoke that sprang from the auspicious pyre that the legendary founders of the city, Senio and Ascanio, Remo’s sons, lit to thank the gods after the foundation of the city of Siena.
If you want know more about Siena events, culture and history, read our calendar of siena events 2020 and so on. You will discover the real soul of the city.
- “The Ideal city. Dürer, Altdorfer and the Nordic masters”, Santa Maria della Scala, December 14th 2018 – April 18th 2020
The exhibition brings together works from the Pinacoteca Nazionale di Siena, Museo Civico di Siena and Gallerie degli Uffizi. The main theme is Nordic painting, well documented in the eighteenth-century collection. More info: here.
- Live Rock Festival, Acquaviva (Siena), 9-13 September 2020
Live Rock Festival Acquaviva bets on the originality of the musical proposal, establishing itself among the most influential free admission events in Italy. Ecology, food and wine, artistic innovation. You can read more about it on Live Rock Festival’s official website.
- Palio Siena, July 2nd and August 16th 2020
Palio of Siena is a competition between the “Contrade” of Siena in the form of an equestrian carousel of medieval origin.
The “career”, as it is traditionally called the race, normally takes place twice a year: on July 2nd there is the Palio in honor of Our Lady of Provenzano feast of the Visitation in the extraordinary form, and on August 16th that in honor of Our Lady of the Assumption.