Fill your agendas and itineraries with all the best Firenze events!
Chronologically listed are all of the events in Florence, organized and specially selected by the StudentsVille staff. We’ve sifted through the thousands of Florence events happening in our lovely city to bring you the richest, and most entertaining, in cultural enjoyment events in Florence, Italy.
What’s happening in Florence
Here you will find a list of all the most interesting cinema in Florence – outdoor and indoor, Florence concerts held in the center of the city, theatre in Florence, Florence music events and other exhibits and fairs happening throughout the year.
- The first Sunday of every month there is free entrance to state museums. You can anticipate a longer line, but hey, it was free right? For a full list of the museums participating, click here.
- For the latest in movies (in original sound with subtitles) check out Odeon Firenze for their schedules and upcoming events.
- For all shows at Teatro Verdi in the center, including ballets, plays, musicals and entertainment, visit the Teatro Verdi Website to see what shows will be playing when you’re in town.
- For concerts and events throughout the year at the main venue in Florence, visit: Mandela Forum.
- “Natalia Goncharova – A Woman of the Avant-garde with Gauguin, Matisse and Picasso”, Palazzo Strozzi, September 28th 2019 – January 12th 2020
Palazzo Strozzi honours Natalia Goncharova, an extraordinary female figure in twentieth-century art, with a major retrospective that traces her life and her rich and multifaceted production in comparison with masterpieces by famous artists such as Paul Gauguin, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso and Umberto Boccioni from the collections of the most prestigious international museums. Info: here.
- Inside Magritte, Cattedrale dell’Immagine, November 1st 2019 – March 1st 2020
“Inside Magritte”, the multimedia exhibition dedicated to the great surrealist master René Magritte (1898-1967), conceived and signed by Crossmedia Group and Hepco who produce the event directed by The Fake Factory. From November 1st the exhibition will animate the Cathedral of the Image in Santo Stefano al Ponte with an evocative immaterial architecture, visual and sound, which will reconstruct the pictorial universe of Magritte.
- At the Feet of the Gods. Footwear from Classical times to the modern era, Pitti Palace, Museum of Costume and Fashion, 16 December 2019 – 19 April 2020
In Florence, at the Fashion Museum of Pitti Palace, history, social role and symbolic value of footwear are reconstructed from the classical world to the contemporary one. More info: here.
- Enigma Pinocchio, Villa Bardini, October 22nd 2019 – March 22nd 2020
Enigma Pinocchio – an exhibition dedicated to the creature of Collodi, the wooden puppet, universal known symbol of Italy and Tuscany: Pinocchio. More to know, here.
- Neo Rauch, Andito degli Angiolini, Pitti Palace, October 16th 2019 – January 12th 2020
The first Italian retrospective dedicated to the German painter Neo Rauch opens in Florence: until 12/1 his works will be on display at Palazzo Pitti, in the Andito degli Angiolini. The exhibition is divided into 37 canvases of various sizes made by Rauch between 2008 and 2019, some of which were made precisely for the spaces of the Medici palace in Florence. You can read more about it: here.
- Robert Campin’s Annunciation, Museo Nazionale di San Marco, September 26th 2019 – January 6th 2020
Until January 6th 2020 the Museum of San Marco in Florence will be exhibiting to the public The Annunciation by Robert Campin. An illustrious guest of the Museo del Prado for the 150th anniversary of the Museo di San Marco. More info: here.
- The Botany of Leonardo, Museo di Santa Maria Novella, September 13th – December 15th 2019
The exhibition explores Leonardo’s reflections on the forms and structures of the plant world, underlining his original synthesis between art and nature and the characteristics of his scientific thought, which we can define as “universal” in the broad and organic study of the various fields of knowledge. If you want to read something more about, click here.
- Leonardo: On the trail of the ‘Battle of Anghiari’, Museo di Palazzo Vecchio, February 23rd 2019 – January 12th 2020
Museo di Palazzo Vecchio, as part of the initiatives aimed at celebrating the fifth centenary of the death of the Genius, offers visitors an interesting route built around the famous unfinished work, “Battle of Anghiari”. Info: here.
- Tomás Saraceno, Palazzo Strozzi, February 22nd – July 19th 2020
Palazzo Strozzi will hosts the Tomás Saraceno exhibition entirely designed for the museum from February 22nd 2020 to July 19th 2020. More Info: here.
- Mummie. Viaggio verso l’Immortalità. Museo Archeologico, July 16th 2019 – February second 2020
Curated by Maria Cristina Guidotti “Mummies. Journey to Immortality” collects more than 100 objects, all belonging to the collections of the Egyptian Museum section, which have been away for some time traveling through Europe and China. If you want to know more about it, click here.
- “Bice Lazzari. La poetica del segno”, Museo Novecento, October 25th 2019 – February 13th 2020
On the first floor of Museo del Novecento in Florence you can find an exhibition dedicated to the artist Bice Lazzari and curated by Paola Ugolini and Sergio Risaliti (and organized in collaboration with the Archivio Bice Lazzari): a rich selection of over seventy works – paintings and drawings, design objects and a series of poems by the Venetian artist. Info: here.
- “RAM Fra Novecento e Metafisica. La Natura ricreata”, Galleria Frascione Arte, September 18th – December 7th 2019
Galleria Frascione Arte in Florence hosts “RAM Between the Twentieth Century and Metaphysics. La natura ricreata”, the first major monographic exhibition organized in this city dedicated to one of the most important Florentine artists of the first half of the twentieth century: Ruggero Alfredo Michahelles (Florence, 1898 – 1976), in art RAM. More info on Frascione Arte’s website.
- Collezione d’arte Fondazione Cr, free guided tours to discover their art collection – visitable by appointment from 19/01/2019 to 15/12/2019
Fondazione CR Firenze owns a collection of works of art of significant value, consisting of paintings by various artists covering a period ranging from the fourteenth to the twentieth century: from ancient masters, such as Giotto and Mariotto di Nardo, to Renaissance artists, such as Filippino Lippi and Giorgio Vasari, from Macchiaioli and naturalist painters, such as Giovanni Fattori and Odoardo Borrani, to the protagonists of the twentieth century, such as Giovanni Colacicchi and Primo Conti, not to mention the series of views of Florence carried out between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. You can read more about it on Fondazione CR Firenze’s website.
- River to River – Florence Indian Film Festival, 5-10 December 2019
River to River Florence Indian Film Festival was founded in 2001 in Florence as the first festival – outside of India – totally dedicated to Indian cinema. The event takes place under the patronage of the Embassy of India at Cinema La Compagnia. Program coming soon: here.
- Festival of Korean Cinema in Italy, Cinema La Compagnia, 19-27 March 2020
Florence Korea Film Fest is a unique film festival. It offers documentaries, short films, films and extensive retrospectives on the main directors of Korean cinema, with the participation of the authors. Info: here.
- Middle East Now – Festival of Cinema and Contemporary Culture on the Middle East, Cinema La Compagnia – Cinema Stensen, March 31st 2020 – April 5th 2020
Middle East Now brings to Florence the contemporary Middle East with a rich program of cinema, documentaries, art, music, theater, meetings, social projects, food and events. The international festival will be held between Cinema La Compagnia and Cinema Stensen. Upcoming program: here.
- Lucia – la radio al cinema, Manifattura Tabacchi, 12 – 14 December 2019
Lucia is a three-day festival dedicated to the art of telling stories in sound.
Fiction, radio dramas, documentaries, podcasts… Some of the most beautiful sound stories produced in recent years to listen to at the cinema with subtitles in Italian and English. International guests, workshops, performances and live podcasts. You can read more about it: here.
Music Festivals, Concerts
- Note al Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, 31 Oct – 20 March (2020), Museo dell’Opera del Duomo
Enjoy some beautiful concertos in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo’s Salone del Paradiso. You’ll love every moment of it!
- New Generation Festival Concert Series, from 20th Sept to 19th June 2020
From September 20, the Franco Zeffirelli Foundation will host the New Generation Festival Concert Series, a concert programme dedicated to young artists.
Many talented young artists will perform at the Franco Zeffirelli Foundation and in other Florentine locations: The Oratory of the Zeffirelli Foundation, The British Institute and Palazzo Corsini al Prato.
More info: Fondazione Zeffirelli’s webiste.
- Firenze Rocks, Visarno Arena, June 10 – 13 2020
Four days of some of the best rock artists out there. Green Day, Weezer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Vasco Rossi already announced, click the link for the upcoming line-up: Firenze Rocks.
- Decibel Open Air Festival, Visarno Arena, June 2020 (dates not yet announced)
A two days that transforms Visarno Arena into one of the biggest dance parties in Europe, Decibel brings the giants of house and techno, in front of the vast crowd of the arena, for a show not to be missed: Decibel Open Air Festival
- Musart Festival, Piazza Santissima Annunziata, July 2020
Musart Festival combines great concerts, art and culture.
Paul Weller, the “modfather”, already announced on 27th July 2020. (FB event: here)
- Nextech Special, Fortezza da Basso, December 7th 2019
Techno party at Fortezza da basso with Len Faki, Luigi Madonna. Tickets: here.
- Birraio dell’anno, Tuscany Hall, 17-19 January 2020
Brewer of the Year is the award, organized by Fermento Birra, which recognizes the best Italian brewer elected each year by national experts. More info: here.
- Talk alla spina – Degustazioni Birre, Manifattura tabacchi, November 7th – December 19th 2019
Birrificio Valdarno Superiore offers weekly events dedicated to the tasting and discovery of cultures related to the world of beer, together with an expert brewer guest of Antonio Massa, brewer brewer BVS. Info: here.
- Taste, Stazione Leopolda, 7-9 March 2020
PITTI TASTE, exhibition dedicated to the excellence of taste, Italian lifestyle and table design.
- Firenze Bio per la sostenibilità, Fortezza da Basso, 20-22 March 2020
Market exhibition of bio products. Conferences, tastings, cooking shows, special parties in the monumental halls of the Fortezza da Basso in Florence, initiatives in schools, dedicated menus in over 50 restaurants in the city. Info: here.
- Florence International Artisan Fair, Fortezza da Basso, April 24th – May 1st 2020
The first certified craft fair in Italy every year hosts teachers and new talents in a magnificent place, the sixteenth-century Fortezza da Basso, where cultural heritage and innovation give life to unique creations and experiences, destined to last. You can read more about it: here.
- Artefacendo – Mostra mercato dell’artigianato artistico, Piazza dei Ciompi, every Saturday of the month until December 7th 2019
Every first Saturday of the month, until December 7th, Piazza dei Ciompi in Florence hosts Artefacendo, the exhibition dedicated to the best of artistic craftsmanship, organized by CNA Florence and Artex.
- Festa dell’Unicorno, Vinci (Florence), 24-26 July 2020
Festival dedicated to the world of fantasy is preparing to amaze fans and onlookers with a new edition that will aim to consolidate the event with new guests, shows and concerts. You can read more about: here.
- Easter Day – April 12th, 2020
” Lo Scoppio del Carro” – “Explosion of the Cart” Piazza del Duomo 10AM
An Easter tradition dating back centuries. We suggest getting to the piazza as early as possible because you will find a huge crowd of both Florentines and tourists. For a detailed explanation of this tradition, visit – Explosion of the Cart.
- Liberation Day – April 25th, 2019
Celebrating the day that Nazi occupation came to an end in Italy towards the end of the WWII. Enjoy an annual ceremony and concert in Piazza Signoria among other events dedicated to those who fought all around Florence and Italy in general.
- Festa di San Giovanni – June 24th 2019
Celebrating Saint John, the patron saint of Florence, you can expect to see crowds and a lot of events happening all around the city including Calcio Storico (the final game) during the day and the famous fireworks taking off from Piazzale Michelangelo at night. For more information about this holiday and what you can expect, visit: Festa di San Giovanni.
- Christmas Market in Piazza Santa Croce, November 23th – December 22nd 2019
Officially it is called Heidelberger Weihnachtsmarkt, but for all it is simply the Christmas market in Piazza Santa Croce: also for this 2019 the typical houses arrive in the heart of Florence for a month of events. Brezel, strudel, mulled wine, but also a lot of craftsmanship from Northern Europe are the protagonists of this Christmas holiday, with the house of Santa Claus and initiatives for children.
- Christmas Baazar – American Christmas Market, Tepidarium del Roster, Giardino dell’Orticoltura, November 30th – December 1st 2019
In Florence the Christmas Bazaar is the Christmas Market organized by the association Ailo – The American International League of Florence ODV.
- Fierucola dell’Immacolata in piazza Santissima Annunziata, 7-8 December 2019
On December 8th in Piazza SS. Annunziata takes place the traditional fair of products of bio farming on a small scale, manual crafts.
- “Nataleperfile”, Palazzo Corsini, 6-8 December 2019
Charity event organized in Palazzo Corsini by the Italian Foundation of Leniterapia