The city of Naples, in southern Italy, rises in the heart of the bay of the same name next to Vesuvius, the active volcano still active today and known for having destroyed the ancient Roman city of Pompeii. Dating back to the second millennium BC, Naples has centuries of art history and architecture behind it and its cathedral, the Cathedral of San Gennaro, is rich in frescoes. The most interesting historical sites are the sumptuous Palazzo Reale and the Maschio Angioino, a 13th-century building.
StudentsVille Staff has chosen the best Naples events: you will always keep up to date on all events in Naples. So you will know what's happening in town: Naples National Archeological museum events, Teatro San Carlo's opera season, rock concerts, art exhibitions, festivals and much more.
Discover Naples with our guides:
To keep in mind: what's happening in Naples
- Thanks to Mibact’s initiative “Io vado al Museo” Naples State museums open free on the first Sunday of the month
- Piazza del Plebiscito, one of the symbols of Naples, is a square located in the historic centre, between the promenade and via Toledo, with an area of about 25 000 square meters, the square is one of the largest in the city and Italy and for this reason, is the most used for major events. So if you want to discover Naples events today, read our calendar of Naples news events.
Art, Photography Exhibitions not to be missed in Naples
- "Degas. Il ritorno a Napoli" exhibition, Complesso Monumentale San Domenico Maggiore, 14 January - 10 April 2023
For the first time, from 14 January to 10 April 2023, the exhibition "Degas, the Return to Naples" celebrates Degas' connection with Italy and Naples by hosting a selection of almost 200 original works on display in the Sala del Refettorio of the Complesso Monumentale di San Domenico Maggiore.
Buy the tickets for the "Degas. Il ritorno a Napoli" exhibition.
- "Artemisia Gentileschi a Napoli" exhibition, Gallerie d'Italia, 3 December 2022 - 19 March 2023
Intesa Sanpaolo is proposing the exhibition, "Artemisia Gentileschi a Napoli", at its museum in the Gallerie d'Italia, dedicated to the painter's long stay in Naples, documented between 1630 and 1654 and interrupted only by a trip to London between 1638 and 1640.
Buy the tickets for the "Artemisia Gentileschi a Napoli" exhibition.
Concerts in Naples
- Coldplay, Stadio Diego Armando Maradona, 21-22 June 2023
Coldplay, one of the most famous pop/rock bands in the band, will play on two dates at the historic Diego Armando Maradona stadium in Naples: 21 and 22 June 2023.
Buy the tickets for Coldplay's concert at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.
- Miracle of St. Januarius, first Sunday in May - December 16th
Three times a year, on official and solemn dates, San Gennaro renews his ties with Naples and his blood is exposed to thousands of citizens and faithful. And every time it is hoped that it will melt. On the Saturday before the first Sunday in May, on 19 September and 16 December, they flock to the Chapel and the Cathedral to witness the miracle of liquefaction.
- Carnascialata, February
A carnival event with dancing and food. A dinner-show that every year, on Shrove Tuesday, the House-museum of Pulcinella organizes in Via San Giovanni Maggiore Pignatelli.