The city of Naples, in southern Italy, rises in the heart of the bay of the same name next to Vesuvius, the active volcano still active today and known for having destroyed the ancient Roman city of Pompeii. Dating back to the second millennium BC, Naples has centuries of art history and architecture behind it and its cathedral, the Cathedral of San Gennaro, is rich in frescoes. The most interesting historical sites are the sumptuous Palazzo Reale and the Maschio Angioino, a 13th century building.
StudentsVille Staff has chosen the best Naples events: you will always kept up to date on all events in Naples. So you will know what’s happening in town: Naples National Archeological museum events, Teatro San Carlo’s opera season, rock concerts, art exhibitions, festivals and much more.
Discover Naples with our guides:
What’s happening in Naples
- Thanks to Mibact’s initiative “Io vado al Museo” Naples State museums open free on first Sunday of month
- Piazza del Plebiscito, one of the symbols of Naples, is a square located in the historic center, between the promenade and via Toledo, with an area of about 25 000 square meters, the square is one of the largest in the city and Italy and for this reason is the most used for major events. So if you want to discover naples events today, read our calendar of Naples news event.
Art Exhibitions, Photography
- “David e Caravaggio. La crudeltà della natura, il profumo dell’ideale”, Gallerie d’Italia – Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano, December 5th 2019 – April 19th 2020
The exhibition – dossier focuses on the comparison between Caravaggio’s Deposition and David’s Death of Marat and more generally on Michelangelo Merisi’s fortune on neoclassical painters and especially Jacques – Louis David. More info: here.
- Letizia Battaglia, Magazzini Fotografici, December 13th 2019 – March 8th 2020
Magazzini Fotografici hosts Letizia Battaglia’s exhibition. On the occasion of her visit to Naples, Letizia has personally chosen from her archive of vintage prints a selection of shots that represent a cross-section of her photographic research. More info: here.
- Alessandro Sannino, Galleria Koine, February 3rd – May 30th 2020
Galleria Koine hosts an exhibition dedicated to Alessandro Sannino, a hyper-realist painter of extraordinary talent, the perfect reproduction of reality through this alchemy between photographic and pictorial technique always leaves one astounded, especially when talent is able to express and make one glimpse ‘beyond’ reality. Galleria Koine’s website: here.
- Paul McCartney, Piazza del Plebiscito, June 10th 2020
After twenty-nine years Paul McCartney will be in concert in Naples on June 10, 2020 in Piazza del Plebiscito.
- Miracle of St. Januarius, first Sunday in May – December 16th
Three times a year, on official and solemn dates, San Gennaro renews his ties with Naples and his blood is exposed to thousands of citizens and faithful. And every time it is hoped that it will melt. On the Saturday before the first Sunday in May, on 19 September and 16 December, they flock to the Chapel and the Cathedral to witness the miracle of liquefaction.
- Carnascialata, February 2020
A carnival event with dancing and food. A dinner-show that every year, on Shrove Tuesday, the House-museum of Pulcinella organizes in Via San Giovanni Maggiore Pignatelli.