Iscriversi all’Anagrafe

How to “Register with the Registry Office,” for European Union citizens.

If you from the European Union and studying for a period longer than 90 days, you have to iscriversi all’Anagrafe (register yourself at the Registry office) to legally stay in Italy. While it may sound like a hassle, the process is quite easy (or at least, much easier than that for people from outside the EU).

  1. Print the Registry Request form, here.
  2. Fill it out (if you can read Italian or Google Translate your way through – otherwise, do what you can and ask for help when you go to the registry office).
  3. Bring it to one of the local Registry Offices (addresses and hours for Florence, here) with the following:
    • The official enrollment letter from your school or university + 1 photocopy
    • Proof of sufficient financial resources for your period of stay, which can include but are not limited to: a letter of support from your parents, front/back photocopies of your credit card, and/or photocopies of your bank statement.
    • Proof of medical insurance. Bring an original document (like your insurance card) + 1 photocopy. For instructions on how to get additional health coverage once you arrive in Italy, click here.